Before diving into RFID implementation, check if multiple retailers have similar RFID requirements. Ideally, you want to use a single RFID label that meets the criteria of all the retailers your customers sell to.
Retailer mandates usually share common elements, allowing for streamlined compliance efforts. Retailers should provide documentation outlining their specific RFID requirements, including:
- Acceptable label dimensions
- Acceptable label materials (facestock, adhesive, etc.)
- Acceptable RFID "inlays" by product type
- Information and barcode(s) to be printed on the label
- The RFID "Encoding Scheme" to use (typically GS1's "SGTIN-96")
- Requirement to "Permalock" encodings
- Label placement guidelines
- Label approval process
For any missing or unclear information, reach out to the retailer's point of contact for clarification.